Portfolio and Capabilities
Flexion Therapeutics is a biopharmaceutical company focused on the development and commercialization of novel, local therapies for the treatment of patients with musculoskeletal conditions.
In 2009, Flexion, an emerging start-up, focused on the development of local therapies – therapies that enhance target engagement and limit systemic exposure. We appreciated the advantages of local intra-articular therapy in addressing the unmet medical need in osteoarthritis (OA), a type of degenerative arthritis.
Flexion is committed to the development of a portfolio of local therapeutics for patients in need. In that regard, we are focusing our efforts by building upon the competencies acquired from our research.
- Established expertise in the development of formulations that sustain therapeutic effect following local delivery.
- A presence in the community of Orthopedic and Sports Medicine Surgeons. We look to the development of products that integrate novel pharmacology in the enhancement of the effect and in the improvement of recovery from orthopedic procedures.
- A strong scientific affiliation with the community of Rheumatologists investigating the underlying disease process of OA, and we maintain an interest in the development of therapeutics that target this disease.
- Expertise in the development of pain therapies, with a deep understanding of the clinical endpoints representing pain. We look to develop products that provide local analgesic effect in a range of musculoskeletal disorders.
- Skill in defining and executing an efficient regulatory path for drug development with a heightened interest in candidates that offer a 505(b)(2) or other efficient regulatory pathways.
- A substantial infrastructure including preclinical, CMC, and operational experts to rapidly bring forward new candidates.
- A keen interest in exploring in-licensing opportunities to expand the Flexion portfolio.