At Flexion, we are deeply invested in the welfare of patients, employees, the environment and the communities where we live and work. We conduct our operations and manage our product and pipeline programs in a responsible manner and in accordance with applicable laws, rules and regulations. We hold ourselves to the highest standards and our Code of Business Conduct and Ethics reflects the business practices and principles of behavior that support this commitment. Our core values — focus, ingenuity, tenacity, transparency and fun — form the fabric of the organization, are reinforced daily and are key dimensions in the hiring process as we continuously strive to make Flexion a magnet for outstanding talent and a great place to work.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
We strive to be as diverse as the patients who we hope will benefit from our medicines. Across our organization, everyone’s voice is heard, and the best ideas, wherever they arise, actually do win. Our pursuit of transformative medicines is a uniquely team sport, requiring tremendous tenacity, diversity of experiences and skill sets, and ingenious capabilities.
We promote an environment of diversity and inclusiveness at Flexion, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin, physical disability or age.
Come join us to innovate, be welcomed, be unique and be heard.
We continue to educate ourselves through our engagement with a Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) consultant and are working to ensure that DEI will become progressively engrained into the fabric of the Flexion organization. As a testament to our commitment, our CEO recently signed the MassBio CEO Pledge for a More Equitable and Inclusive Life Sciences Industry, on behalf of our Executive Committee and our entire company.
Employer of Choice
At Flexion, we strive for inclusion, prize ingenuity and see the mission of advancing medicines that matter to patients who can’t get them soon enough as an organizing principle. These are all important elements of our unique corporate culture. In Q1 2021 we were named a Best Place to Work in Boston by Comparably, and we have been recognized as a top employer by both the Boston Business Journal and The Boston Globe. We know our best asset is our people, which is why we offer a comprehensive array of benefits — spanning medical, dental, vision, wellness, life insurance, tuition reimbursement, paid parental leave and more to all our employees.
In addition, we are proud to partner with Northeastern University to sponsor the Flexion Fellowship Program for post-graduate pharmacy students with a Medical Affairs concentration.
We are focused on making a meaningful difference in the lives of people living with musculoskeletal conditions, like osteoarthritis. Through our extensive knowledge, expertise and capabilities in the development and commercialization of novel, local therapies, we aim to realize the greatest value for patients, employees and communities. We:
- Provide funding to non-profit patient advocacy organizations like the Arthritis Foundation and Osteoarthritis Action Alliance which offer support for patients confronting OA and musculoskeletal conditions.
- Support Life Science Cares as a member company with the goal of making a positive impact through volunteering, investing and raising awareness of the issues of poverty and inequity. This includes sponsoring a student through Project Onramp, a program connecting high achieving college students from low-income backgrounds with paid internships in the Life Science space.
- Partnered with Pioneer Medical Foundation and Florida Orthopaedic Institute to support their mission of expanding health care access in underserved communities. Through our product donation we were able to help provide free orthopedic care to uninsured, underinsured and homeless patients in the Tampa area.
- Sponsor a Corporate Work Study Program for students attending Notre Dame Cristo Rey High School, a non-profit organization committed to providing affordable, culturally sensitive, college preparatory education enhanced by professional work experience for young men and women from families with limited income.
- Partner with the Burlington Council on Aging to host community events to educate members about the symptoms and associated health risks of musculoskeletal conditions, like osteoarthritis.
- Supported the community where we operate by partnering with the Burlington Parks and Recreation Department to organize “Flexion Gives Back,” a day dedicated to cleaning up town parks and community gardens.
Patient Assistance Program
We believe that people who need our medicine should be able to get it. That is why through our patient assistance program we provide ZILRETTA® (triamcinolone acetonide extended-release injectable suspension) free or at a reduced cost to qualifying patients who cannot afford their medication. We also offer a copay assistance program to eligible patients.
Environmental, Health, Safety & Sustainability
At Flexion, we are committed to being an environmentally responsible member of our community. We adhere to Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) guidelines as set forth by the FDA to ensure our product and drug candidates are consistently produced and controlled according to quality standards. The expiration date is printed on each ZILRETTA carton and the outer carton contains a space to record the date received and discard date following removal from refrigeration.
We proactively look for opportunities to reduce waste and employ green technology wherever possible. In 2018 we installed water filtration coolers to dramatically decrease the use of plastic bottles. The building in which we are headquartered was granted an ENERGY STAR certification by the Environmental Protection Agency in 2020 and employs single-stream recycling. In addition, at both our main office and our Innovation Laboratory we utilize automated lighting controls and 100% recycled paper goods.
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, in early March 2020 we instructed all of our employees to work remotely and temporarily suspended our active clinical trials to help ensure the health, safety and well-being of our patients, customers, employees and their families. As part of our responsibility to be a good corporate citizen, we donated personal protection equipment from our Innovation Lab to local hospitals and to the collection effort coordinated by MassBio to help with the increased demand for medical supplies.
Our Board of Directors is comprised of industry leaders with extensive and diverse experience spanning business and scientific leadership. Our Board sets high standards for our employees, officers and directors. It is the duty of our Directors to serve as a prudent fiduciary for shareholders and to oversee the management of our business. As such, our Board established the following corporate governance guidelines.
- Audit Committee Charter
- Compensation Committee Charter
- Nominating and Corporate Governance Committee Charter
- Code of Business Conduct and Ethics
- Corporate Governance Guidelines
- Compliance Program Overview